Electrical fires are consistently one of the most common causes of all residential fires, with many happening in the overnight hours and while families are sleeping or away from their homes. Sadly, the holiday season is notorious for electrical fires as more people use space heaters, electric fireplaces and increased appliances without considering the real dangers.
One of the misconceptions is that there’s no way to prevent these inevitable blazes from sparking, however there are a number of very practical measures that can be taken to make sure that your home is safe and protected.
Here at Unlimited Electric in Rochester NY, we’re committed to helping homeowners understand the most common causes, while taking all measures in their control to prevent them from ever happening. Here are just a few of the actions that can be taken to help keep your home safe.
- Have your home electrical system inspected annually by a professional electrician
- Turn off and unplug unnecessary electrical units or appliances before leaving
- Check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors on a monthly basis
- Walk your entire home or office to ensure that sure no space heaters are left on
- Have fully-charged and functional fire extinguishers on each level of your home
- Give your 24/7 running light fixtures and lamps a chance to cool down each week
Learn More About Preventing Electrical Fires in Rochester NY
It only takes one spark from a faulty electrical system or damaged outlet to initial a blaze that changes life in an instant. If you’ve never had your home’s electrical system thoroughly inspected by a skilled electrician, we can’t overstate the importance of doing so right away. At Unlimited Electric, we perform meticulous inspections of all critical components to assess wear, damage and the potential for problems that most homeowner never have the opportunity to see.
To learn more about protecting your home and loved ones, get in touch with one of our Master Electricians and we’ll be happy to help. You can reach Unlimited Electric by phone at 585-223-2157 or via email through our website’s quick contact form.